Discussion: The Scent of Flowers -- GhostsReported This is a featured thread

Showing 2 posts
BunkieLA
BunkieLA
The Scent of Flowers -- Ghosts
May 23 2010, 2:49 AM EDT | Post edited: May 23 2010, 2:49 AM EDT
Much is said about the apparitions or poltergeist-like activities of spirits of the "dear departed". One side aspect of this activity is the use of smells by disembodied spirits to say "I'm here". It is in the literature of the paranormal that visible and invisible beings can create quite a stink. Then again, there are those wonderful clouds of scent, of everything from flowers to pipe tobacco to roast beef.
<
It is those pleasing scents that I will focus on here. A scent can suffuse throughout an entire room, or be concentrated in a "ball" that wafts past one's nose. Sometimes it helps to know something about the family history in order to figure out who it might be who is paying a visit.
<
For example, was there a particular kind of perfume/cologne favored by a number of the ladies in the family? The perfume of choice in my family is very old-style European, possibly made with ambergris in centuries gone by. When you first put it on, it smells like after-shave lotion and may sting a bit as well. But once the perfume begins to interact with your body chemistry, a wonderful scent of a whole field of spring flowers begins to surround you. When I pick up on that distinctive scent, I know that one of the dear departed ladies is saying "Hello".
<
Oh, and yes, when the menfolk come through, though not as often, their scents of choice are either cigars, pipe tobacco, or roast beef.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
gabbas
gabbas
1. RE: The Scent of Flowers -- Ghosts
May 23 2010, 10:07 PM EDT | Post edited: May 23 2010, 10:13 PM EDT
Years ago, my nephew spent several years studying in the UK and during that time he stayed at my mother's home, located in a beautiful sea-side resort in Devon.
It was whilst he was there that one day, he called my mother into his bedroom because he could not understand why there was such an overpowering aroma of perfume and more perplexing is that it was a lady's perfume, one of flowers. On further investigation, my mother went into the bedroom to try and locate where the smell was emminating from, and even down to browsing in the wardrobes. She immediately recognized that intoxicating aroma and explained to my nephew that it was really odd as it was not a perfume she used herself but it was however a famous brand called "Lily of the Valley" which happened to be her mother's favourite perfume. My grandmother had passed on many years earlier.
So yes. there is something to be said about aromas and smells when it comes to the dearly departed, and one way of letting you know that they are close is by surrounding you with their own special smells, be it perfume, flowers, tobacco, or even food! I did once experience that same smell of Lily of the Valley in one of my mother's previous homes, where the entire upstairs floor was completely saturated in the aroma.It was a very strange experience but not unpleasant!
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)